Meet the Main Characters

      Oh, the life of dogs! I have an almost 12-year-old Shihtzu poodle mix. My daughter has a nearly one year old rescue dog of not fully known origin. We think border collie for sure, but alternate between also lab, greyhound, or potentially even some shepherd. He's rambunctious, but not a destroyer, as of yet at least. Yes, he has torn apart his toys and ripped up his bed when bored. We've caught him in the act of having a few things not for him, but knock on wood, we haven't seen the wide scale destruction I've seen illustrated on various social media sites. Well, he did eat a tv remote, and an old pair of my daughters' glasses-both left out of their storage places, an almost invitation to the puppy to help himself. My son's shoe was a casualty-the tongue chewed to where it wasn't wearable, but they were old shoes. Oh wait. He ate my college kids key fob so she's got a trip in Monday to Facility Services to get it replaced and will have to coordinate getting into her apartment building with friend or roommate Sunday night. I guess he has left a bit of a path of destruction, just moderate though. 

     Pup, as I refer to the older dog, alternates between merely tolerating the young dog, who is three times his size, mind you, and being annoyed the young guy even exists. Grand pup, as I call the younger, on the other hand, wants so bad to get the old guy to play and chase, and have a jolly good time. Pup is not having it. When grand pup came into our lives, he was a five-month-old rescue dog, having the one month in a foster home waiting to be adopted, but who knows what he endured his first four months. He was thin, timid, and his fur was patchy. He's the picture of dog health now and seeing him want to play is a total joy when we think back to that September evening when my daughter first introduced him to us and he wanted to run under the car and wouldn't let people near him. He still is leery of new people, men in particular, but it takes him about three minutes to give his green light of approval. 

     My daughter perhaps prematurely adopted her dog, her schedule not very conducive to an energetic puppy. We fell in love with him right from the get-go too though, so agreed we'd help with doggie daycare during the work weeks since I mostly work from home. Since my husbands unexpected death in January, we've tested out a real doggie daycare and it was a hit. We use it for days I need to go into the office and now also have a trusted place should we ever need boarding. Pup does OK, in fact likes, being on his own for a significant portion of the day. He gets a good walk before I leave, food and water left, but something tells me based on his day when I'm home, he spends the day sleeping.

     While pets are a lot of work, having them has been a god send for me. They give me reason and purpose to get up on days I just feel like staying in bed, covers over my head, shutting the world out. My husband loved walking in the door, and after being fed himself, worked with the grand pup on sit, stay, wait, and the annoying jumping. He would exclaim over and over, "this guy is so smart," with each successful command obeyed. I admit I need to do more of this and am hopeful when the bleak long Minnesota winter subsides, we can be outside more and more, and practice those skills, with my daughter and I reinforcing each other's progress. I am avoiding the subject of weight in any blog arena right now but will say the added walks have helped me drop over 10% of my weight without really changing any other bit of my life this past fall. Well, adding at least three miles walking a day will do that! 

     Pup is eager to just get in on the training treats, and just lives his life as the little prince that he is when the grand pup isn't here. Pup makes sure to know where I am all the time. If I need a little thinking time, my code for laying on my bed with my eyes shut, often with tears rolling down my cheeks, he joins me, even though the effort as he has aged to get on the bed is immense. I need to get some dog stairs for him. Right now, this is my household. My daughter will be home once she graduates in May, though longer-term plans are unknown. I'll pop in from time to time to share little tidbits about the furry family members in this space. It's a Dog's Life blog will be a sort of journal of this new life I have, shared with a couple lovable hounds. 

My daughter has a large window seat built in, but he has decided this works at my house for keeping the neighborhood watch. 

I guess new rules for both the living room
and the furniture are now applied. 






Comments

  1. They are both adorable. Dogs are wonderful friends, they know how and when to cheer us up with a chin resting on our knee, or just quietly sitting alongside us. Sending you thoughts and hugs, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to follow along here.

    My younger son always wanted a dog, but my husband doesn't care for them... I always told him he could get his dog when he moved out, but he's out and about and doing spur of the moment things that would be hard to do with a dog, so he still hasn't gotten one yet. I get my puppy fix from my sister's two Golden Retrievers and all of the dogs in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you have the dogs, and a source of enjoyment & comfort!

    We had dogs growing up, but Sam was bit on the face when he was a baby (in a stroller), & since then, I haven't been able to get over my nervousness of having dogs around. Our office is dog friendly, so I do see many on a regular basis, and enjoy them in those doses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased that those beautiful dogs are giving you so much love and support, Sam. I've never owned a dog but I'm fascinated how the types vary - tall, tiny, fluffy, sleek - a three letter word and a world of difference.
    The neighbourhood watch position made me smile as did the pair of them on the settee, like butter wouldn't melt.
    Sending you and your family lots of love from a snowy UK! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to read your new blog; you have been in my thoughts.
    Love the puppy pictures, and I'm glad that the pups are a source of comfort and entertainment.
    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had three Black Labrador retrievers, a Boston Terrier, and a Mastiff. My heart can't take another dog...I loved them so much, so I'm happy to enjoy yours vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you are well aware, we are cat people. Not that we don't love dogs, because we do, but having lived in places where it would be difficult and unfair to the dogs, it was easier to have a cat as a companion and contrary to what most people believe, they are great companions. But I also know that a dog can read a persons moods and know when they are needed most and I am truly glad that you have their companionship during this difficult time. The sweet love of a pet can compete with no other. The free entertainment is where stories come from. Take care. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet babies you have. I am a cat person - but I do agree, they sure are a Godsend. I am guaranteed a reason to be up early every morning, and I am guaranteed a lot of unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sweet fur babies! So grateful they are there for you during this time. Dogs are such great companions. I'm hopeful I can find a place to rent that accepts pets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you have dog companions that comfort you. No matter the problem, a dog would not be welcome or a cat, either...lol. I am allergic to both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it. Glad you have a good day care also

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fur friends are the best! I'm glad they've been a comfort for you. I think of you often and hope you're doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing will bring comfort to your hurting heart like dogs. They love you unconditionally, don't give advice, and are always there for you. I have 2 cats (they were a package deal with the husband) - but would take a dog in a heartbeat. Your pups are both just so adorable. And the fact that King Pup is barely tolerating Baby Put is hilarious! I'm sure there will be some good stories to share!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pup is beautiful! Dogs truly are man/woman's best friend. Growing up, we always had dogs. I've been wanting to get one for DS for years, but the ex was totally against it. Well, I'm getting a dog once DS & I move. Enjoy your furbabies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't realized grandpup was so big - but they are both beautiful! I'm glad you have them for company and that you are back writing again. Take care! A

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful for a dog blog! I have 2 labs and 1 used to be a destroyer due to severe separation anxiety (3 "homes" in 18 months) but he is now 5 and has finally figured out we aren't going to abandon him. BUT we still kennel him because he can open doors, open the dog food cabinet and get himself into trouble. We are working on short stints of not being kenneled and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sun Puddles and Cuddle Spots

Walking the Dogs